That’s not how I see this. The Stranger-Danger education movement in the 80s and 90s was one of the most detrimental causes the US has ever championed. To quote television’s Criminal Minds ( I know, I know. But when they’re right, they’re right):
Gideon: "You know what program did the most harm to this country in terms of crimes like this - child abduction?"
Reid: "Stranger Danger."
Gideon: "A lot of the schools with it."
Reid: "I remember them coming to my classroom, it was Officer Friendly with the stranger danger coloring books."
Gideon: "Told a whole generation about a scary man in a trench coat hiding behind a tree. Then we learn that strangers are only a fraction of the offenders out there. Most are people you see every day. Family, your neighbors, school teachers. You know the rest... We prepared our children for 1% of the danger and made them more vulnerable to the other 99%. So we’ve been wrong before. All we can do is learn from it and hope to do better next time."
Thank you for being brave and coming forward to remind us.