Damn I hear this story far too often.

I am so so sorry to hear about your children’s mom. One of my best friends, and mother to a 13 year old daughter and a 6 year old son with severe autism died from aspiration resulting from an overdose of Fentanyl. She was using patches for pain secondary to systemic lupus ( autoimmune strikes again) and apparently kept forgetting she had already put her patch on. She was wearing 7 when they found her.

I had a kind doctor who worked long term to wean me off of hydrocodone; at my worst, I was ingesting 300 mg/day ( a month supply). I was first prescribed after a car accident by a DO. Shortly after, my son was gravely ill and I couldn’t get in for my adjustments and he started prescribing me 100 at a time, every week or so…I was very lucky.

Bless you for working to make alternatives available. Now if just more people knew about them. Everyone is so quick to write a script. And so quick to accept one.

I still don’t know what I want to be when I grow up, but I know I want it to be spelled right and punctuated correctly. I guess that’s something.

Get the Medium app

A button that says 'Download on the App Store', and if clicked it will lead you to the iOS App store
A button that says 'Get it on, Google Play', and if clicked it will lead you to the Google Play store